Friday, April 22, 2011

The things I want to remember

Dear Natty,

You're three and a half years old. In your short life you've experienced so much and you've come through it making everyone around you happier. I hope you are happy too.

There will be times in your life when you will need to look back through your memories to find a moment that made your heart melt or your spirits soar. You've given me those moments and I have gone back to those moments frequently to remind me how blessed I am that God has entrusted me with you.

I think about how I would caress your ample cheek in my hand. You would close your eyes, seemingly drinking up the warmth, and put your own hand behind mine, pressing it further into your cheek. You stay that way, eyes closed, hand on my hand, saying nothing, and time stops. There is nothing but warmth and love.

Then there was the time I was reading to you and as you often do, you were interrupting me throughout, asking questions. This time though, you rapped my head with your fist and said, "Knock knock, excuse me," to get my attention and I just started laughing. It was the kind of laugh that wells up from deep inside and can't be stifled, and soon after, we're both just laughing uncontrollably. We look at each other laughing and we laugh even more. It was magical. I can't help but smile every time I think about it.

These are the things I want to remember.

Love,
Daddy

No comments: